Monday, February 28, 2011

WPPI | Las Vegas, Baby.

Ahhh.. this trip was lonnnng-awaited, but it finally came. A few months ago, I was encouraged to actually go to WPPI and not just dream of going like I have the past couple of years. WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International) is an organization formed to serve wedding photographers. Speakers and photography vendors from all over the world meet up in Las Vegas for a week of sharing wisdom, knowledge, and experience. I left for this trip with an almost guilt for leaving when I had/have SO much to do. I was working my way to sickness (which I am now..bleh), but I kept going, not giving myself one ounce of a breather to recharge myself. Kate, my best friend and YWAM roommate from 3 years ago, emailed me an article that hit home: A Creator Makes Progress Through Rest. Please read it. At the PhotogUnite (a group of Christian photographers at WPPI) meeting, I learned how to depend on Him in my business and let others help me instead of taking it all on myself. Most importantly, I learned to understand the seriousness of resting.. as simple as not eating lunch in FRONT of my laptop while working, but taking an actual lunch break. I'm posting this at 2am..with flu-like symptoms, so I'm still learning.. obviously, but I'll get there. Baby steps. ;)

This quote is taken straight from Kate Noelle's blog, and it's so true.

"The bright side is what everyone else sees…. the flexible schedule, being my own boss, working in my pajamas, etc. The not so bright side is what very few people see…. such as working by myself most days, a packed schedule full of things a whole office of people would normally be working on, lots of taxes, etc."

I love that people see the bright side, but I sometimes feel like I need people to understand the other. This week I met some of those people. It was so refreshing and absolutely needed. I LOVE WPPI!!!!!

Here are some photos from the week. I hardly took ANY with my actual camera because we were so busy, but here are a random bunch from mine and Katie's phones:

Photobucket
1. I totally purchased a fedora. 2. An album company used names from LOST as their album cover couples. hah. made my day.
Photobucket
Saw the Grand Canyon on the flight over. :)
Photobucket
My tired Vegas buddy and my TOMS/suitcase.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I met sweet Bobbi from Bobbi+Mike. This lady is pretty fantastic.. makes everyone she meets feel loved. I like that. :) This wasn't our first encounter. Our first involved her RUNNING down the hall and giving me a full-on hug. Yeah.. that's how awesome she is.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

[suhk-ses] WPPI 2011 from stillmotion on Vimeo.



I rested, and although I miss Kate Noelle more than words, it was a PERFECT trip. I'm so glad to be home and to see how my business changes now. It will be for the better.. stay tuned. :)

1 comment:

Kate Noelle said...

:D Read this on my lunch break. Ha. Lunch break. We DID have fun.... love you. Now, go take a nap!