Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yeh Wedding | Ev & Ash

This blog post is way overdue; I can't imagine how to write about this bride and groom, their families, and this special day that would make someone understand how special all of it is and was to me. I was fortunate enough to meet a member of the Lau family over four years ago in a German town with less than 5,000 people at a photo school with less than 30. His name was Jon. I followed Jon around like a puppy, attempting to soak up all his knowledge and creativity when it comes to photography. He inspired me beyond belief and continues to today. We were horrible at keeping in touch for months and then awesome at keeping in touch for days. hah These "waves of keeping in touch" meant we would dump giant life updates via Facebook or email whenever we got the small chance. The day Jon told me his sister, Ashleigh, had cancer was heart-breaking. Having dealt with a LOT of cancer in my family, I was immediately attached to the situation. Knowing I was thousands of miles away, I could only offer prayer and lend an ear to listen.

Listen to Ashleigh's testimony HERE.

Months went by, and a wedding of a mutual friend brought a group of old friends together, Jon being one. He had such a positive attitude about his family's situation, placing his complete trust in the Maker of his sister. It was such an encouragement to see. He talked a lot about this guy named Ev: someone he played nerdy computer games with, talked life with, and grew up with. I knew Ev and Ash had been dating for a while, but what I saw next I was totally unprepared for. Oh.. and I cried. (Duh.) Watch (all photography by Jon Lau. < best street photog EVER):




Next thing I knew, I was in New York City in the middle of Hurricane Irene, photographing a beautiful wedding, surrounded by such beautiful people.. oh & kicking butt at Mafia with Ashleigh. ;)

My favorite quote of the week was spoken by Ashleigh's dad in a prayer the night before the wedding.. It was so simple, but those simple truths, when said aloud, can rock someone to their core:

"God, Thank you that tomorrow we can celebrate love, and we can celebrate life.. because Your love is our anchor, and You are the Author of life."

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

All brides should do this to start their big day.

Photobucket

This is Meryl.. the world's hardest worker and selfless servant. She was 100mph all weekend, taking care of others.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

favorite:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Seesta:

Photobucket

Ashleigh changed into her traditional Chinese dress that belonged to her grandma for the tea ceremony. :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Yes.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Dinner the next night!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The crew:

Photobucket

Ev & Ash, thank you so much for inviting me into your NY home like family. Spending time with you guys was such a blessing; I can't begin to tell you how precious the time was to me. Congratulations on being one!!! Hope life together has been beautiful thus far. Love you both. -B

6 comments:

Linda Schilberg Photography said...

What an amazing story! So thankful you were able to capture such an amazing wedding. The B&G are going to go crazy over these!!!!!!

Jesstor said...

Bets- you are such an amazing storyteller! Your photos say it all!

:) Helen

P.S. I think there is a picture of Merryl doing the exact same thing at my wedding!

Kate Noelle said...

Just Beautiful. You successfully made me cry this morning..... thanks for sharing!

Lauren @ ELD said...

So incredibly gorgeous. Your images are phenomenal Betsy! And Ashleigh is absolutely beautiful. :)

Jennifer Disney said...

Beautiful, Betsy!

Lewis said...

So Beautiful! Had problem seeing through my tears!
Thank you! Thank You so much!